There’s no two ways about it: being a parent was easy before you had children You thought those kids lying on the supermarket floor kicking their legs in a frenzied tantrum were just badly behaved and their parents were plain lazy
Things are different now These days you know that even the best parents in the world can have particularly strong-willed kids What’s more, the best parents in the world can’t always go shopping at the optimum time They might have to pass by the supermarket on the way home from preschool Everybody's tired and hungry, and the last thing you need is to pass a shelf of chocolate (which someone has uncharitably placed right beside the checkout!)
Tips for handling tantrums
Does your child keep refusing to cooperate? Do you have days when you know that whichever side of the bread you butter for your two year old, it will be the wrong side? That they’ll insist on wearing sandals even though it’s snowing?!
How do you handle a tantrum? Here are some tips:
• Too many choices and decisions are hard to cope with when you’re little Often, a child feels safest when mummy or daddy confidently makes the decision Sometimes you'll just have to pretend you’re more confident than you are
• Pick your battles carefully It doesn't really matter whether your toddler wears trousers or a skirt, but it does matter that they're strapped securely into their car seat Making decisions is always good for children; it builds their confidence So think of some things that it's okay for your child to decide
• Be consistent – perhaps the most difficult thing of all
• Don't negotiate about important matters
• Body contact can calm an angry child
• Tantrums are always hardest when there are other people around The simplest thing in this situation is to pick your toddler up and go into another room or to your car
• Parents – support each other!
And remember that even the best parents know the value of bribes and negotiations – because they’ve been there Don’t judge yourself too harshly Sometimes the easiest way is the best way
Share your tips and advice here
There are certain things you always thought you'd know how to handle, like tantrums. But that was a long time ago - before you became the parent of a strong-willed two year old!